Sault Ste. Marie Canal, Sault Ste. Marie, ON, Canada
Sault Ste. Marie Canal
The Sault Ste. Marie Canal is a National Historic Site in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, and is part of the national park system, managed by Parks Canada. It includes a lock to bypass the rapids on the St. Marys River.
The first canal on the site opened in 1798, but was destroyed in 1814 during the War of 1812. The latest canal dates to 1895, and formed part of the shipping route from the Atlantic Ocean to Lake Superior, along with the two locks on the US side of the river. One of the walls of the lock collapsed in 1987 and the canal was closed to traffic.
In 1998 a smaller lock was opened within the original canal. It is suitable for smaller boats and mostly used for pleasure craft.
Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre, Pim Street, Sault Ste. Marie, ON, Canada
Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre
Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre (CBHC), located on the north bank of the St. Marys River in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada, is dedicated to preserving the history of bush flying and forest protection in Canada. It was founded in 1987 by a group of local volunteers to preserve the province's history in bush planes and aerial firefighting.
The CBHC has a 64,000-square-foot (5,900 m2) hangar containing more than thirty aircraft exhibits.
Ermatinger Clergue National Historic Site, Bay Street, Sault Ste. Marie, ON, Canada
Ermatinger Clergue National Historic Site
The Ermatinger Clergue National Historic Site is a historic site and museum located in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada.
There are three buildings on the site: the Ermatinger Old Stone House, the Clergue Blockhouse, and the Heritage Discovery Centre. The Ermatinger and Clergue houses are thought to the be oldest buildings northwest of Toronto. The Heritage Discovery Centre's construction was completed in 2014, this space was designed to provide additional interpretive and programming space for the historic site.
The site is managed by the city of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.